Our Timber and Log Infill System
If you can't decide between a timber frame cottage or a log cabin, Wise Owl Joinery has developed a great system that combines both and will get you looking and dreaming. You still have a full timber frame but the spaces between the posts are filled in with logs.
Here are some advantages to this system, as compared to a log cabin:
- You don't need full length logs.
- The flat walls make it easier to trim out windows and doors.
- The interior is brighter because of the chinking.
- There's less chance of rot because we remove the sapwood when cutting the logs.
- Adding partition walls is easier.
- The feel inside is unlike any you have ever experienced.
This system is a viable alternative to the stress skin panel enclosure.
The horizontal logs are joined to the posts with a vertical spline. There is no major vertical shrinkage in the wall.
The log panels are pre-stained or oiled in our shop, and all electrical outlets and holes, as well as window and door openings, are prepared beforehand.
After the cabin is assembled on site, we chink between the logs on site to create an airtight wall system using the latest products on the market.